NED KELLY ECHO – Woman Who Saw Capture.

Welcome to the Ned Kelly Forum   Forums   Kelly Country Chronicle   NED KELLY ECHO – Woman Who Saw Capture.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Fitzy Fitzy 10 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Fitzy
    Fitzy

Another interesting article from Trove! This one comes from The Daily News in Perth, 1930.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/83506196

June 8, 2013 at 5:42 pm #3503

Hope McGann

Nice find, Fitzy and it made my day too. It looks like Mrs O’Conner wanted to stay by her man and to be able hear the bullets whistling passed must have been terrifying.

I’m still hoping an obituary for Belle will turn up as I would like tokenow how she lived out her years and what of that fella in her life who was supposed to be a high ranking member of the Anglican Church?

• This reply was modified 10 months, 2 weeks ago by  Hope McGann.
    June 15, 2013 at 12:38 pm #3540
    PaulOK
    PaulOK

Hi Everyone,

I don’t know if many have seen this photo before of Stanhope O’Conner and his Native Trackers? It was taken at Cooktown in 1879 after they’d just massacred some 28 Aborigines and just before heading south to hunt for the Kelly Gang.

Cape Bedford massacre on 20 February 1879 – taking the lives of 28 Aborigines of the Guugu-Yimidhirr tribe north of Cooktown – Cooktown based Native Police Sub-inspector Stanhope O’Connor with his troopers, Barney, Jack, Corporal Hero, Johnny and Jimmy hunted down, subsequently “hemmed in” a group of Guugu-Yimidhirr Aborigines in “a narrow gorge”, north of Cooktown on, “of which both outlets were secured by the troopers. There were twenty-eight men and thirteen gins thus enclosed, of whom none of the former escaped. Twenty-four were shot down on the beach, and four swam out to the sea” never to be seen again.

• This reply was modified 10 months, 1 week ago by PaulOK PaulOK.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    June 15, 2013 at 5:54 pm #3544
    Fitzy
    Fitzy

Shocking story, thanks Paul.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.